So… I recalled my friend Matt mentioning "HOW GREAT IS THAT TIM FERRISS" when we were hanging out on the weekend.. so I jumped onto itunes and went in search of a 'make me feel better please' podcast. Yep.. true. I do this all the time… who gives a flying fig if that is avoidance of feeling like shite.. it often works for me. I don't avoid how I'm feeling really.. I just think neurotic over thinking, and anyalysis paralysis is a bit (lot) freaking self defeating annoying sometimes. Tim Ferriss is the author of the 4 hour work week… I have not read it.. because I simply did not believe it was true.. possible or anything like that… but.. so far I've found he's great to listen to.. so maybe I'll read it sometime.
Anyway.. back to the podcast search ... I found this one called
"Tricks for the Neurotic, Manic Depressive and Crazy (Like Me)"
by Tim Ferriss here is the link
- Wake up at least one hour before you have to be at a computer screen. EMAIL IS THE MIND KILLER. (yes… and WAITING FOR EMAIL is even worse … I've been noticing this)
- Make a cup of tea, and sit down with a pen & paper. (I have actually already started this as winter has me taking large cup of chai tea with honey back to bed to do morning pages and read my fucking email and fb… so.. I appreciated the reminder that this is DUMB and I could leave out the iPad for another hour!)
- Write down the 3-5 things and NO MORE that are making you anxious and uncomfortable, things you've been putting off…. MOST IMPORTANT… USUALLY EQUALS.. MOST UNCOMFORTABLE. There's oftentimes some chance of rejection or conflict. (HELLO, REASON NOT TO PAINT), so if you don't know what is most important, ask - WHAT IS MAKING ME MOST UNCOMFORTABLE.
- So for each of these 3-5 things that you've written down, ask yourself these 2 questions . . . First question; if this were the only thing I accomplished today, would I be satisfied with my day. Second question you ask; will moving this forward make all the other 'to do's' unimportant or easier to knock off later, ie. is this thing a force multiplier (whatever that means?!)
- Look only at the items you answered YES to. .. maybe your list of 3-5 becomes 1 or 2 now.
- Block out 2-3 hours to focus on ONE of them for today.
- repeat … One block of time, and FOCUS ON ONE item for today
- Little bits of minutes don't count to make up the block… the distractions are too counter productive to you actually getting this thing done… when you feel yourself wandering.. or being distracted… gently come back to the ONE THING you're doing today.
I've also just this afternoon while writing this, going for a walk with man and his dog.... had a couple of ideas.. involving … 'desperate times… calling for (not desperate) but GENEROUS measures… so.. I'll go and make the necessary moves to get that happening.
If you want to hear how you could receive an opportunity to come to my Gypsy Retreaty Workshop at half the valued price.. or.. you'd like to know about winning a free seat at my table for a Smash Booking Session then… join the mailing list.. as I'll be sending a note out to them first.
bye for now,
*** off to take some inspired action ***